Thursday, January 22, 2009

why a blog..

As we started the process of planning our ceremony, i was underwhelmed with resources online or otherwise for same-sex unions; we had no idea where to start. Obviously there is something liberating about not having any format to follow, but still where do you draw the line when choosing what wedding traditions are meaningful and which are too straight? we want our guests to understand the significance of our day, without looking like we are trying to have a wedding. 

The idea of blogging started because as I talked to people they kept saying, "are you having a cake?" "are you walking down an aisle?" etc. We as a couple tend to sneer at the majority of cheesy 'bride' stuff. No bride=no bride stuff. I thought, maybe there are ideas out there from real people who have done this...hopefully there are, because we need the help!

I found a great website www.weddingpaperdivas.com, were we can customize the text on our invites, but we were lost as to wording. We are paying for everything so we do not have to credit our parents. I ended up consulting Martha Stewart wedding magazine for formal verbage and found something that may work. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paul! I saw your new blog on FB, and of course I had to check it out because I am a blogaholic. Rather than being a blog stalker, thought I would say hi. I look forward to reading updates. Hope all is well with you guys.

    -Kasie

    P.S. www.etsy.com is a great resource for invitations. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philip and Paul,
    a. I adore you.
    b. Do you need a bridesmaid?
    c. If not, I'm willing to perform in some other way ... (song or dance, your choice)
    d. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
    Lindsay Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so I have not done this before but have planned many other events and straight or gay I believe a celebration like a commitment ceremony should be a combination of everything important to you both. My opinion is you first need to decide what you want from this event, then work backwords with what kind of things will make that happen.

    Question...are you looking for hints on planning the event, vendors to use, how to make it unique, or all of the above?

    Suggestion of things to think about that can be used to create your event;

    What are your favorite things to do together.

    What is your favorite food and desserts.

    Are there any places or experiences that mean alot to either of you and especially both of you.

    What does a commitment ceremony mean to you both; ie is it all about the ceremony of you commiting to each other or is it more about gathering those you love to celebrate your love, or both?

    Congratulations and throughout this whole process do not forget or loose touch of WHY you are doing this!

    -Siobhan

    ReplyDelete